An Honest, Clear Voice In SSI/SSDI Care

Can a child of an overseas military member get SSI benefits?

On Behalf of | Dec 8, 2017 | Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

In Oklahoma, people who are members of the U.S. military and have a child who has been approved for Supplemental Security Income might be concerned that an overseas deployment will leave their children unable to continue receiving benefits. There are certain rules for SSI that will prevent some people from meeting the requirements to be approved or to continue getting them. If a person getting SSI leaves the U.S. for a minimum of 30 days, the eligibility for SSI will generally end. However, the Social Security Administration has a special rule for children of military members.

The child can get the benefits or apply for the benefits while overseas in the following circumstances: if the child is a U.S. citizen and the child lives with a parent who is in the U.S. Armed Forces who has been assigned to a permanent posting ashore outside of the U.S. The SSA must get certain information to grant these children their SSI benefits. They need to know: the expected reporting date for overseas duty; when the child will join the parent; what the mailing address will be at the new duty station; and information about military allowances that are being provided such as for housing or rations.

Parents who are stationed overseas and have a child who they believe meets the criteria to receive SSI can also apply even if they are overseas. The U.S. Embassy or the U.S Consular Office should be contacted. There are specific reporting instructions if children are getting SSI and are living overseas with a deployed parent. The following must be reported: if the child getting SSI moves; if there are other people who are living in the home or leave the home; or if the parent leaves the military and stays overseas.

Being in the military is a serious commitment and those who are stationed overseas and have a child who has disabilities that warrant SSI benefits should not be deprived of them because of their service. There are ways for the child to keep getting SSI or applying for SSI benefits if they are going overseas or are already overseas. If there are concerns or problems with getting the benefits, a lawyer experienced in all matters related to SSI Supplemental Security Income can help.

Source:, “Spotlight On Special SSI Rules For Children Of Military Personnel Living Overseas — 2017 Edition,” accessed on Dec. 4, 2017