An Honest, Clear Voice In SSI/SSDI Care

What if a military member whose child gets SSI is deployed?

On Behalf of | Jun 9, 2017 | Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Oklahoma has many people who are in the military and it also has many children who are getting Supplemental Security Income. In some cases, these two factors combine. A concern that many military members have is whether the SSI benefits for their children will continue if the parent is sent overseas. There are special rules for children of military personnel.

Ordinarily, people who are receiving SSI who leave the United States for 30 days or longer cannot get SSI. But for the military, it is different. A child can continue receiving SSI benefits or can file an application for SSI if the child is a U.S. citizen and lives with a parent who is in the U.S. Armed Forces who has received a permanent assignment anywhere out of the U.S. When a parent is being deployed overseas and has a child receiving SSI, the Social Security Administration needs to be told when the service member expects to report for duty, when the child will join him or her, the mailing address at the new station and other information regarding military allowances at the new station.

A service member who is already serving overseas and believes that a child can get SSI benefits should contact the U.S. Embassy, U.S Consular Officer or the SSA. There are certain requirements for reporting that children who are getting SSI are living overseas. The SSA must be told if there is any change to the parent’s situation. It must also be reported if the child who gets SSI moves, if others move into or out of the parent’s home or the person leaves the military and stays overseas.

There are various rules related to SSI and those who are receiving or seeking benefits should make certain that they know how the rules apply to military personnel and their children who are getting SSI. If there is a problem or any issue with these benefits for military members, it is imperative to discuss the matter with an attorney experienced in SSI Supplemental Security Income.

Source:, “Spotlight On Special SSI Rules For Children Of Military Personnel Living Overseas — 2017 Edition,” accessed on June 5, 2017